In today’s episode of the ATP Project – The whole crew joins in a round table discussion on the iconic training topic of ‘Muscle Hypertrophy’ what it is by definition, the biochemistry, anatomy, and old vs new ways of thinking on the process. Where does size come from? Does growth happen in the gym or at the table? Where does fascia fit into the whole equation? How important are proteins and amino acids for Muscle Hypertrophy? Get the notebook and a pen, there are some applicable knowledge bombs in this episode.
- Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy in Skeletal Muscle: A Scientific “Unicorn” or Resistance Training Adaptation? School of Kinesiology, Auburn, AL, United States. Front. Physiol., 14 July 2020 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2020.00816
- Findley, Thomas. (2009). Fascia Research II: Second International Fascia Research Congress. International Journal of Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork: Research, Education, & Practice. 2. 10.3822/ijtmb.v2i3.61.
- Haun, C. T., Vann, C. G., Osburn, S. C., Mumford, P. W., Roberson, P. A., Romero, M. A., Fox, C. D., Johnson, C. A., Parry, H. A., Kavazis, A. N., Moon, J. R., Badisa, V., Mwashote, B. M., Ibeanusi, V., Young, K. C., & Roberts, M. D. (2019). Muscle fiber hypertrophy in response to 6 weeks of high-volume resistance training in trained young men is largely attributed to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. PloS one, 14(6), e0215267. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215267
- Oertzen-Hagemann, V., Kirmse, M., Eggers, B., Pfeiffer, K., Marcus, K., de Marées, M., & Platen, P. (2019). Effects of 12 Weeks of Hypertrophy Resistance Exercise Training Combined with Collagen Peptide Supplementation on the Skeletal Muscle Proteome in Recreationally Active Men. Nutrients, 11(5), 1072. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu11051072
- A Critical Evaluation of the Biological Construct Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy: Size Matters but So Does the Measurement. Front. Physiol., 12 March 2019 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2019.00247
- De Jager, Nadia & Hudson, Nicholas & Reverter, Antonio & Wang, Yong-Hong & Nagaraj, Shivashankar & Cafe, Linda & Greenwood, Paul & Barnard, Ross & Kongsuwan, Kritaya & Dalrymple, Brian. (2011). Chronic exposure to anabolic steroids induces the muscle expression of oxytocin and a more than fiftyfold increase in circulating oxytocin in cattle. Physiological genomics. 43. 467-78. 10.1152/physiolgenomics.00226.2010.
- Phillips S. M. (2014). A brief review of critical processes in exercise-induced muscular hypertrophy. Sports medicine (Auckland, N.Z.), 44 Suppl 1(Suppl 1), S71–S77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-014-0152-3
- Lilja M, Mandić M, Apró W, et al. High doses of anti-inflammatory drugs compromise muscle strength and hypertrophic adaptations to resistance training in young adults. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2018;222(2):10.1111/apha.12948. doi:10.1111/apha.12948
- Do inflammatory cells influence skeletal muscle hypertrophy?
Timothy J. Koh1, Francis X. Pizza2 Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 2 Department of Kinesiology, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH
- Jorgenson, K.W.; Phillips, S.M.; Hornberger, T.A. Identifying the Structural Adaptations that Drive the Mechanical Load-Induced Growth of Skeletal Muscle: A Scoping Review. Cells 2020, 9, 1658.
- Deldicque, Louise. (2020). Protein Intake and Exercise-Induced Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy: An Update. Nutrients. 12. 2023. 10.3390/nu12072023.
- Schoenfeld, B. J., Grgic, J., & Krieger, J. (2019). How many times per week should a muscle be trained to maximize muscle hypertrophy? A systematic review and meta-analysis of studies examining the effects of resistance training frequency. Journal of sports sciences, 37(11), 1286–1295. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2018.1555906
Maximizing Muscle Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review of Advanced Resistance Training Techniques and Methods DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16244897 December 2019 International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16(24):4897
- Blanco, Fernando & Alcazar, Julian & Cornejo Daza, Pedro & Sánchez-Valdepeñas, Juan & Rodriguez-Lopez, Carlos & Hidalgo de Mora, Javier & Sanchez Moreno, Miguel & Bachero-Mena, Beatriz & Alegre, Luis & Ortega‐Becerra, M. (2020). Effects of velocity loss in the bench press exercise on strength gains, neuromuscular adaptations and muscle hypertrophy. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. 10.1111/sms.13775.
- Schoenfeld, B. J., Contreras, B., Krieger, J., Grgic, J., Delcastillo, K., Belliard, R., & Alto, A. (2019). Resistance Training Volume Enhances Muscle Hypertrophy but Not Strength in Trained Men. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 51(1), 94–103. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0000000000001764